Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University serves the non-resident Telugus in other Indian States and Abroad by bringing out text -books for them and by extending financial assistance to Schools in such areas. It also offers facilities for purchase of Library books, equipment and construction of class- rooms and offering Short-Term Courses to teachers of Telugu in non-Telugu areas.
The University plans to cater to the cultural needs of people residing at USA and UK by introducing Certificate Course in Modern Telugu, Karnatic Music and Kuchipudi Dance at their places.
1) Brief history of the Department
As per the resolutions passed in the First World Telugu Conference held at Hyderabad on 8-09-1975, the Andhra Pradesh State Government established International Telugu Institute, to cater to the needs of the non-resident Telugus living in other States and abroad. International Telugu Institute was inaugurated by the then President of India, Sri Fakruddin Ali Ahmad. On 2nd December, International Telugu Institute was merged into Telugu University with all other Academies. Since then it was renamed as International Telugu Centre and continued all the activities of the erstwhile Institute, along with the additional educational ones. On 4th August, 2008, this Centre was named Mandali Venkata Krishnarao International Telugu Centre by the then Chief Minister, Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, in memory of the erstwhile Minister, Mandali Venkata Krishnarao who served the cause of the non-resident Telugus in outside the state and abroad.
2) Objectives of the Department
- To preserve, promote and propagate Telugu Language & Culture
- To provide training and research in Telugu Language
- To preserve Telugu culture through publications and Audio-Visual medium
- To cater to the educational needs of Telugu people living outside Telugu States and abroad
- To sponsor Cultural Troupes and Financial Assistance to Telugu Associations outside the State for promotion of Language and Culture.
- To conduct Regional/National / World Telugu Conferences
3) Courses run
- Certificate course in Modern Telugu for National & International Students (Regular)
- Certificate course in Modern Telugu (Distance mode)
- A. Special Telugu (Distance mode)
4) Departmental Seminar Library
1906 Books are available
5) Academic Activities
5.1 Academic Programmes
- a) Teaching of Telugu to foreign students,
- b) Certificate Course in Telugu for Non-Telugu students,
- c) Short-Term Training Camps for Telugu Teachers for outside the state,
- d) Memorial Lectures in places outside the state,
- e) Preparation of Telugu text books and conduct of national seminars cum workshops on the problems of translation of text books,
- f) Institution of Telugu Chairs in the Universities and Institutes to propagate language and culture outside the state and abroad
- g) Language Environmental Tours,
- h) Short-Term courses in Telugu for Telugu children in America, Malaisia
- i) Memorandum of Understanding with American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS), Institute of National Des Languages et civilizations Orientals (INALCO), Paris, Siliconandhra, U.S.A., Malaysia Telugu Sangham, Malaysia to propagate Telugu Language & Heritage
- j) The refresher courses for teachers of S.R.L.C., Mysore.
- Research and Survey Programmes
- a) Survey and comprehensive research on historical, social and linguistic aspects of Telugus living in other states,
- b) Contribution of Telugus for the development of respective places outside the state, and Telugus residing abroad.
- Bilingual dictionaries,
- Readers to facilitate Non-Telugus learn Telugu,
- Monographs on Telugu language, literature, culture and celebrities,
- Translation of Telugu classics into other languages,
- Telugu translation of other language text books, and
- Telugu Language Text Books for outside Telugu states and abroad.
6) Seminars / Workshop / Symposium
Centre conducted 35 Seminar – cum – workshops and Symposiums on Preparation of Telugu Language Text Books and translate other language medium text books into Telugu Language to develop Telugu Teaching in outside the state and abroad.
Conducted 14 Regional Telugu Conferences, 6 All India Telugu Conferences and 4 World Telugu Conferences.
8) Financial Assistance
The centre extends financial assistance to Telugu Schools, libraries and cultural organizations in other slates and abroad, towards construction of buildings, purchase of Library Books, teaching appliances etc.
9) Cultural Programmes
Sponsoring of cultural troupes at the instance of Telugu associations outside the state
- Service Oriented Programmes
- Securing admission to Telugu students of places outside the state in the courses of Telugu University and other Universities in Telugu state,
- Supply of Government Telugu text-books to Telugu Schools in other states,
- Supply of Telugu booklets, in simple and lucid style, on Telugu language, literature and culture to some Telugus outside the state,
- Presenting as gifts audio and video cassettes of classical, folk, devotional patriotic national and light music songs in Telugu,
- The distribution among Telugu association outside the state of books furnished by authors under financial assistance from the University for printing of books,
- Conduct of competitions, causing cash prizes, in story, poetry and other genres with a view to promoting gentility among Telugus outside the state,
- Organising memorial lectures by eminent persons in other states,
- Recording works of prominent writers as read out by them
- To honour and confer honoring doctorates on distinguished Telugus outside the state, and Interaction with Telugus outside the state.
- Telugu Associations
Centre is corresponding to various Telugu Associations nearly 380 in India and more than 100 in abroad.
- University Diary & Calendar
Centre publishes Diary & Telugu Calendar to distribute Govt. Officials, Staff and Telugu Associations outside the two Telugu states and abroad.